What topics can I ask about here?
Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. If you have a question about...
- practice or performance technique
- music theory, notation, history, or composition
- technical analysis of a specific, complete work, or well defined section thereof
- instrument maintenance or repair
- usage of specific music software or hardware
and it is not about...
- business or legal issues (some of the latter may be asked on Law.SE)
- genre categorization or other concerns from the perspective of a listener rather than a musician (try Music Fans instead)
- requesting external resources (questions should be specific and answerable on this site; external links are for references and supporting material)
- identifying a song, style/genre, instrument/equipment, technique, chord progression, etc.
- transcription of specific works, including identifying notes/chords/meters/other elements in songs
- shopping help — including product or music search — or buying/selling advice or recommendations
- recommendations of pieces to listen to, study, or play, or that meet particular criteria
... then you're in the right place to ask your question!
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Music Stack Exchange, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?"