Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am guessing the wavy line from one chord up to another chord is Double mortent.

I looked online and this is the only term I could locate for this symbol. Can you tell me how it is played?

share|improve this question
I have added an answer based on Double Mordent - it is a wavy line, but it doesn't have anything to do with chords. – Dr Mayhem Jul 29 '13 at 18:33
Are you talking about a Glissando? – American Luke Jul 29 '13 at 20:26

From Merriam Webster:

Definition of DOUBLE MORDENT

a melodic ornamentation consisting of four grace notes or tones preceding a principal note or tone and executed by a rapid alternation of a principal tone with its lower auxiliary tone

The important point appears to be the playing of the grace notes as fast as possible


In the case of both mordent and double-mordent the tones are sounded as quickly as possible, the time taken by the embellishment being subtracted from the value of the principal note as printed.

enter image description here -

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.