Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been playing the piano for a long time, but I don't ever recall seeing any piece of music call explicitly for the soft pedal. Some digital pianos and keyboards don't even have one. I know there are terms for it in classical notation though, such as 'una corda' or 'due corde'.

How often does it actually appear in scores? Was there a period when it was more commonplace?

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I would say the more recent the music, the more often it's notated (at least in classical music). In modern music it is very common but it was used already at least by Beethoven. For example, in the 4th concerto, you can find all of una, due, and tre corde in the second movement. Liszt certainly used it; check the beginning of the Liebesträume, for example. Debussy and Ravel often write "2 Ped" to mean you should use both the damper and the soft pedal. An example can be found at the beginning of Ondine in Gaspard de la nuit. Or they may write sourdine as in the next pieces of Gaspard.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.