Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Not the part of the piano that typically has the brand name on it, but the piece of wood that is under the keyboard and is in full view of the pianist.

enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

The keybed is the part of the piano under the keyboard that supports the keyboard and stops the downward movement of the keys.

The key slip is the panel of wood in front of the white keys and keybed.

piano parts

share|improve this answer
The key bed is the wood under the keys, but the bar of wood in front of the keys is the key slip. – chrismear Nov 12 '13 at 12:48
@chrismear Thanks! I edited my answer. – Ben Miller Nov 12 '13 at 12:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.