Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In this song, Der Mond from Heisskalt there is a passage which I particularly like.

What is this technique called, does it have a name?
The singer reaches out to few different notes while singing that passage and I want to hear more similar sounds like that.

Listen - 00:56 - 01:01

Please enlighten me.

Thank you

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by Shevliaskovic, NReilingh Feb 21 '14 at 6:17

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Sounds more like an effects processor than something he's doing with his voice to me – Alexander Troup Feb 18 '14 at 10:15
Why unclear, we almost got the right answer – Herr Feb 21 '14 at 6:24
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The note he "reaches out for" is a perfect fifth above the note he starts on, then he fills in the leap by moving down, and finally executes what in the business is called an appoggiatura:

(in c minor)

c c g f eb d d eb

share|improve this answer
I think this is the answer I'm looking for, could you give a demonstration in a form of song/video? Would be perfect! – Herr Feb 21 '14 at 6:23

Yeah, that's not a vocal technique, it's an effect processor that the vocal part is being put through. The effect is usually called "delay" because a delayed copy of the original signal (or several delayed copies) is being created. When the copies get progressively quieter (which is the normal use) it sounds like an echo, but is usually louder, faster and contains more actual echoes than you find in most natural environments. Any sound can be put through a delay.

There are many ways to add delay to a signal: you can use a stomp box effects processor (which is quite common for guitar), you can add the effect live using a program like Ableton, or you can add it in the studio manually or via the effects processors in your DAW. It can be particularly difficult to add to a live vocal part because severe feedback can occur if the delay effect gets caught in the same microphone that is being delayed.

It's pretty difficult to find rock or pop music that doesn't use at least some delay. A classic rock example that makes particularly heavy use of it is Pink Floyd, for example on the albums Animals and Dark Side of the Moon (and honestly, pretty much every album they made).

share|improve this answer
Hey Pat, thank you! So far the "delay" has been identified, is there any name for the sequence/order of the notes? Has that a name or are that just notes put together, that sound good? – Herr Feb 19 '14 at 5:41
@HerrK Usually we just call that a melody... He's just singing a stepwise descending scale on the first five notes of A minor. – NReilingh Feb 21 '14 at 6:16

It seems he is using the echo effect, which is common in both vocal and guitar in certain genres...

share|improve this answer

Also there is the so called 'autotune' effect being used. Originally created to shift vocal recordings into correct pitch, nowadays it's popular to use it exaggerated, so the pitch is relatively fast corrected and you can clearly hear the synthethic sound effect. I think this technique was made popular by Cher in the song 'Believe'.

share|improve this answer
Well I'm afraid this is not autotune. Autotune sounds different – Herr Feb 20 '14 at 5:45

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.