Take the 2-minute tour ×
Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When people use the term "Floor Tom" to refer to the drums which normally has a 3 legged stand

enter image description here

I am wondering if the term "Low Tom" is another name for "Floor Tom" ???

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

I think your answer is often true, but it isn't the whole story.

The kit in that picture is definitely the most common setup, but there are other possibilities. It's only a "floor" tom if it is on a stand which sits on the floor—as opposed to the toms that hang from mounts on the kick drum or other paraphernalia. This tom will almost certainly be the lowest in pitch, but it isn't an absolutely essential part of a trap setup. If you have only toms hanging from your kit and no tom on the floor, I think it makes sense to call the lowest one the "low" tom, but not the "floor" tom.

Again, a floor tom is a very common part of the setup—the other setups are more likely in a marching band or orchestral situation— and it is all but definitely the lowest pitched when it's there, but I think the distinction is worth making. "Low" and "floor" tom are almost always synonymous, but there are exceptions.

share|improve this answer

After some research , I found a picture from Google which resolves the issue.

Floor Tom is synonymous with Low Tom

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

It depends on how much toms your set has. If you have 2 stand-toms and 4 hanging ones, they would be commonly referenced as (from low to high):

LoFloor (LFT), HiFloor (HFT), LowTom (LT), LoMidTom (LMT), HiMidTom (HMT), HighTom (HT).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.