Sign up ×
Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I once had a useful music software from Voyetra which could harmonically transpose a piece of music. However, after a crash I lost the software. Now I know how to transpose to another key, but I don't know if there's a method to harmonically transpose, ie transpose up or down but stay in the same key. I know this sounds lazy - and it probably is - but can someone say how to do it easily?

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by Alexander Troup, Dom, Jason W, Shevliaskovic, Pat Muchmore Mar 13 '14 at 18:36

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Are you asking for software that does this? –  Pat Muchmore Mar 11 '14 at 18:44
you can do it without changing in speed and harmonics using many DAWs like cubase , studio one , nuendo , FL studio , etc. but maybe they are not really easy to use for you. maybe its easiest one for you –  Mohammad Rafigh Mar 11 '14 at 19:46
This is basically taking an FFT, shifting the frequency data by a set amount, and taking the reverse FFT. I wouldn't be surprised if Audacity has this capability, BTW. –  Carl Witthoft Mar 11 '14 at 19:59
@CarlWitthoft: apart from the problems involved with that (windowing, boundary phase issues, formant shifts...) which mean no-timestretch audio transpose is actually not that trivial, this kind of technique doesn't keep the music in the same key. –  leftaroundabout Mar 11 '14 at 23:56
I do have FLS. Yes, I can do a harmonic transpose as I'll know all the correct notes anyway. What I find odd is I did have a software 15 years ago that did this automatically if required, but can't find anything equivalent today! –  user9879 Mar 12 '14 at 7:02

1 Answer 1

Simply put: move all chord tones by the same number of steps through the diatonic notes.

Eg in the key of C

moving triads in step wise motion upwards gives:

C Dm Em F G Am Bmb5

moving 7th chords in step wise motion upwards gives:

CM7 Dm7 Em7 FM7 G7 Am7 Bm7b5.

a more detailed example (still in key of C):

moving Dm9 up one step:

Dm9 = D F A C E

move each chord tone to the next scale degree:

D becomes E, F > G, A > B, C > D, E > F.

This gives E G B D F which is an Em7b9

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.