Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been a great singer since school but took a year long break now every time I sing with full fledged voice it feels hoarse after and I can't sing well after that for a day ,my voice durability was far superior before the break Also I suffered reflux esophagitis and pharyngitis during the break :( Any idea what I can do to regain my voice

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The best is and always will be conversation with a professional tutor. I can offer one bit of advice though: sirens. Starting on a note you can sing comfortably and taking up slowly until it becomes difficult is a safe way to see where you're at. But don't... force anything. If your voice has been through the wars you should stay to your comfort zone until said zone begins to expand naturally.

share|improve this answer
Thank you so much have been following that for the moment sticking to a very comfortable zone for my present shows.. Hoping improvement arrives – user9899 Mar 15 '14 at 16:27

Like for all practice, it is important to not overdo it. There might be other complications in your specific case, but the obvious suggestions are to not strain the voice and sing for shorter durations. Accept that "full fledged" now isn't as powerful as it was before. Best course of action is probably to go to a professional teacher and get some suggestions, especially since you've had some medical conditions.

share|improve this answer
Is it possible that this medical conditions have permanently hindered my singing capability? – user9899 Mar 12 '14 at 12:28
It is certainly possible, so it is important to ask someone with professional knowledge with these issues, like a doctor or a voice specialist before trying too hard, and possibly make things worse. – Meaningful Username Mar 12 '14 at 12:44
Thank you so much... I live in India n a voice specialist or something of the sort is not easily found or at disposal but I'll try... Won't ever give up of course – user9899 Mar 12 '14 at 12:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.