I'm looking to improve my workflow for adding new music to my Traktor collection. I want to improve on how Traktor is configured, how I have set up my hard drive's folder structure and how I process the new music from purchase all the way through to beatgridding.
Currently, my HDD folder structure is like this:
- Main Traktor directory somewhere on HDD - Collection directory (contains all fully prepped music) - Preparation directory (contains un-gridded music) - 'No tags' directory (contains un-tagged music)
My workflow for processing new music is like this:
- Music is purchased on Beatport and fetched in bulk with Beatport Downloader.
- I move it into my
- I use MP3 tagging software to edit the file names and ID3 tags as I see fit.
- When I'm done tagging, I move the music up one directory, to the
- I open Traktor and start analyzing all music in the
- I tweak the beatgrid of all tracks, and insert my desired cue-points for all tracks (Load cue-point, and positions of breaks, drops and outro's for visual reference when mixing). This is probably the most time-consuming step in my workflow, but has proven to pay off when mixing improvised or with little preparation for a gig.
- When done beatgridding, I move the music out of the Preparation directory into the
Traktor\Collectionfolder. At start-up, Traktor's consistency check finds missing tracks, and I re-link them to the tracks which are now in the Collection directory.