Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the effect used in the time 0:38?

A person in the comment section says that, "He's using a direct-in to his computer and adding effects through his computer." Though it does look at that time he is stepping on something.

share|improve this question
Can you edit your question (the title in particular) to include a description of the effect? Whatever it sounds like to you is fine, but that will help make this question more searchable, and more about "how do I make this sound" instead of "what is this effect?" which would be off-topic. – NReilingh May 20 '14 at 4:26
I don't know how to put into words this onomatopoeia. I'm new to electric guitar effects, can you help me out? – AnimatedLime May 20 '14 at 5:03
To my ears, I might describe it as a slow "wah" sound--but really, whatever it sounds like to you is fine. The issue is that our site can't have dozens and dozens of "what effect is this?" questions because it would be impossible to tell them apart and not useful to future visitors. – NReilingh May 20 '14 at 5:19
Any other edits/changes I should do? – AnimatedLime May 20 '14 at 5:48
I think this is fine. – NReilingh May 20 '14 at 8:50
up vote 1 down vote accepted

You are correct - it is a wah.

It is controlled from a foot pedal - which, if the effects are all added in the computer then this foot pedal can simply be a controller for the wah effect in the computer.

Alternatively, the wah could be on an effects loop from the computer, or it could be in the loop before the signal gets to the computer (assuming the comment you mention is not 100% correct.)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.