Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I frequently scrape the edge of my pick along the wound E string and sometimes the A to get a lot of shimmering harmonics. What's the name for this technique?

share|improve this question
Isn't that just called a Pick scrape / Pick slide? Here is an example. – rishimaharaj Jul 25 '14 at 2:30
A pickscrape is the succinct term for this. – Tim Jul 25 '14 at 9:57
@rishimaharaj, if you make this comment an answer, I'll upvote it. – empty Jul 25 '14 at 16:40
Too late, I guess! – rishimaharaj Jul 29 '14 at 2:17
up vote 6 down vote accepted

It is known as a pick slide or pick scrape and it is used most often in punk and rock. Read this article for information on what is is. The second article is the forum on proper execution

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.