Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to know the name of this instrument and may be some suggestions on where I can buy one.

Thanks :)

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by nonpop, Dom, Bradd Szonye, Bob Broadley, Tim Aug 5 '14 at 5:24

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on identifying (or finding) a particular song, genre, instrument, etc. are off-topic since they are rarely useful to future readers." – nonpop, Dom, Bradd Szonye, Bob Broadley, Tim
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

you might want to check out – Dave Aug 4 '14 at 21:46
up vote 1 down vote accepted

This is a concertina, and like Calculus, it has both English and German origins: 1829 by Sir Charles Wheatstone, 1834 by Carl Friedrich Uhlig. The original versions had a visual difference: the English version with 6 sides, while the German version initially was square but later there are German versions with 6 sides as well.

Other variations: eight sided are called Aeolas, while Edeophones have twelve sides.

This member of the accordion family has some interesting history as well as differences from places of origin. I recommend reading more about what each version offers.

Things to consider:

Bisonoric or Unisonoric,

Single or double action,

Positioning of buttons,

Type of reed (steel, brass, or nickel...).

Scales and Range.

and more can be read here in the reference below.



Prices range from $179 to $500 and above depending on craftsmanship, materials, collectability, and other market factors. Here are some online retailers.

DISCLAIMER: I am not making a recommendation only providing what I culled from the web.

share|improve this answer

That's a concertina, a traditional European folk instrument. They are basically two different kinds, with different fingerings, English and German. The guy in the blue shirt closest to the camera is playing an English; you can tell since it only has thumb straps.

I can't recommend who to buy from but don't buy from Musician's Friend or Guitar Center. Those are awful.

share|improve this answer
The guy in the blue shirt closest to the camera is playing an English; you can tell since it only has thumb straps. – Dave Aug 4 '14 at 21:43
Thank you very much, @Dave! – empty Aug 4 '14 at 21:50

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.