Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been googling for the last 2 minutes and I just can't come up with anything that talks about "shots". Maybe this is a local Toronto term. Here's the definition as I understand it. A shot is when all members of the band accent a particular section note or group of notes. This can be done in unison or not. What is the proper term for this? Yes, I understand that you could call it an accent, but that's not how it would be said if you were playing in a band.

Here's an example (although it's not a super strong example):

(Beyonce - Love On Top @ 1:15)

share|improve this question
I have heart "hits" used in a similar context. In rock its usually a riff. – Charles Sep 6 '14 at 23:53
Yeah, I've used that too, but I couldn't find anything on that either :( – 02fentym Sep 6 '14 at 23:54
"stab" is also related – Charles Sep 7 '14 at 0:03
Awesome...thanks so much. Perhaps, you should copy your answer in the answer section so I can checkmark your answer. – 02fentym Sep 7 '14 at 0:05
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Try "hits". I looked up "orchestra hits" for a more specific answer, as searching Google for just hits in a music context will often lead to "greatest hits."

"Stab" is also related: "Orchestra hit" on Wikipedia

share|improve this answer
I wonder if it's a Euro/US breakdown. 'Stab' is the term I've heard in the UK. – Chris Sep 7 '14 at 19:16

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.