Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a name for this little beat?

         main: .--.|--.-|--.-|-.--
accompaniment: .-.-|.-.-|.-.-|.-.-

(a dot is a hit and a dash is a rest)

Sorry for the makeshift notation and lack of terms, I'm not doing a great job at conveying this question... I hope my message gets through...

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

What you wrote down is the clave of a ryhthm called Bossa Nova, although you usually write it as two bar pattern. It's a Brasilian rhyhthm pretty close to samba, mostly slower.

share|improve this answer
Bah, ignore my previous comments, I see that Wikipedia has the beat there in a little image. +1! – Matthew Read May 31 '11 at 16:08
Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for but couldn't remember. – Ricket May 31 '11 at 18:10

do you mean a son clave ? usally it is something with 3 against 2 or 2-against 3


X . . X . . X . . . X . X . . .

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.