Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been looking everywhere for the past 2 days for the terms of these two awesome electric bass techniques and couldn't find 'em.

I want to know their technical or common names..

  1. When you slide your finger up then down fast, and make a roaring, 'growling' sound.

  2. I don't exactly know what is done but it creates a boom-like sound. Another Example.

share|improve this question
side note - check out these Cliff Burton songs: The Call of Ktulu, Anesthesia, Seek and Destroy. They have some great examples of making a bass scream like a bloody tiger – CheeseConQueso Dec 5 '11 at 17:16
up vote 12 down vote accepted

The technical term is glissando or gliss slide. Whether you're going up or down or both, basically it's a long slide.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.