Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've just won my first set of turntables on eBay, a pair of Stanton STR8-100's.

The seller has informed me one of the decks needs a replacement stylus.

As I'm new to this, I'm not sure what I need to buy.

Do I search for Stanton Stylus? Stanton Cartridge? And how do I know which will fit my deck?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Any cartridge will do. It's up to you if you want to try and source a stylus, or get a new cartridge. I personally would buy 2 new cartridges (1 for each). They should be a standard fit, just unscrew the old carts, and pop in the new.

share|improve this answer
Cheers I didn't realise that it was possible to connect any standard cartridge, I thought I'd have to buy one specific for my turntables. Thanks! – Curt Feb 1 '12 at 17:26

You'd want to search for "Stanton STR8-100 cartridge" or "Stanton STR8-100 stylus".

Will you be scratching? You will go through stylii faster and would probably want an MM (moving magnet) cartridge versus an MC (moving coil) cartridge.

share|improve this answer
I will just be doing straight forward mixing, no actual scratching – Curt Feb 1 '12 at 17:25

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.