Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

On a mailing list I'm subscribed to, someone recently asked what the collective name was in English for the sharps and flats you find in the key signature. Apparently, the closest translation from several languages (German, Dutch, Russian) is "signs".

My first thought was "accidentals", but this doesn't match the more 'musical' definition of an accidental as a "note who's pitch has been altered from that given by the current key signature" (or something pretty close to that).

Any thoughts?

share|improve this question
The black notes. – user7290 Oct 16 '13 at 16:56
why isn't "key signature" the term you're looking for. – Dave Nov 10 '13 at 20:57
@user7290 That doesn't hold up in pieces in, for example, C sharp major, which has a B sharp and an E sharp. Neither of those is a black key, yet there is a corresponding sharp at the start of the line. Also, this is a very piano-centred term. For instrumentalists who don't play the piano, harpsichord, organ or similar keyboard instruments, this is a useless naming convention. – 11684 Jul 19 '15 at 23:58
up vote 8 down vote accepted

An accidental is not the note as you describe it. That word does refer to the sign itself, not the note. The question remains whether it is correct to use it in the context of a key signature as well.

Personally, I don't have any problem with the phrase "accidentals in the key signature," but would typically just say "sharps or flats," since you're never going to see double sharps or double flats in a key signature, at least not in traditional music, and naturals will only be used as a courtesy or to "reset" to C major.

Did you research if the German, Dutch, or Russian sources have a different word for "accidental"?

share|improve this answer
Thanks for your answer. Yes --- sorry, I wasn't clear in my question: at least according to wikipedia, 'accidental' refers to the note, but can also refer to the sign. As you say, I doubt any confusion would arise by talking about the "accidentals" in the key signature --- I was wondering whether there was a technical term applicable only to that case. – duncanm Jan 16 '12 at 20:28
"Naturals will only be used (...) to "reset" to C major." This is only partially true. Modulating to any key which has fewer [insert sought term here in plural] requires naturals at the key. – 11684 Jul 20 '15 at 0:00
@11684 It's ultimately up to the editor's style decision, though. I hear you, but "requires" isn't accurate since no one interpreting a score is going to treat a new key signature as anything other than superseding the old one. – NReilingh Jul 20 '15 at 0:05
Ah, the musician's worst enemy: the editor. Good point. Indeed, only C Major requires it, because otherwise you wouldn't see the key change. Thank you. – 11684 Jul 20 '15 at 0:08

I think the first definition of accidental I found on Google is correct:

A sign indicating a momentary departure from the key signature by raising or lowering a note.

Hence the sharp and flat symbols in the key signature are not accidentals.

I don't believe there is a single, commonly understood, word which means "sharps and flats". Look, for example, at the Wikipedia entry for "Key signature", which would surely use the word if it existed.

share|improve this answer
Hi Slim --- thanks for your response. That was my interpretation too (though I've seen definitions that state that both the signs and the notes can be called accidentals, and in fact, stating that the primary definition refers to the notes themselves, not the signs... but that's splitting some very fine hairs!). Cheers, Duncan – duncanm Jan 18 '12 at 16:26

I think at least from a music theory standpoint the sharps and flats IN a key signature ARE the key signature and are referred to as such. For example, there is no key signature with just a C#. There is, however a key signature with an F# and a C# and it is know as the key of D major/B minor. There is no other key signature with two different sharps. For that reason I think the two sharps themselves become a symbol for the key of D major/ B minor and are not just viewed as an F# and C# (though they are in the key signature itself). Besides that, there is a fixed placement of sharps and flats for every clef and the pattern for each is the same and very recognizable.

Kind of like an 'F' itself is on long vertical line and two short horizontal lines in a certain pattern. We don't really see the lines, just the F itself even though it is made up of all those lines.

share|improve this answer
Point of order: The expressed view, "For example, there is no key signature with just a C#." only holds for the scales used in the modes, i.e., Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian. Other music cultures, e.g., Klezmer, has both sharps and flats in the key signature. There might be a music culture that uses just the C# without the F# with which we are so familiar. – user18945 Feb 17 '15 at 1:40

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory offers beyond the already mentioned "accidentals" ("accidental notes" would help to exclude the mere accidental signs) also "chromatic notes".

share|improve this answer

Some writers, e.g. the User Manual for Finale, are perfectly happy talking about "key signature accidentals."

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.