Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I had seen an electric guitar somewhere (can't remember) that resemble one used in guitar hero, but it's a real guitar for playing. It has buttons filling up the frets on each note to replace strings. You can strum without a pick and somehow the "button-guitar" sense the strumming.

I searched on google but couldn't find it (may be I didn't get the name right). What is it called? Electric-button-guitar? Who manufactures it?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

The original and longest-running instrument of the type you describe is the

Starr Labs Ztar

family of instruments. They've been offering these guitars for more than 25 years.

Also, Yamaha, the largest music instrument company in the world, has offered a similar guitar, the EZ-AG, for many years also.

share|improve this answer

Is it the HyperTouch?

share|improve this answer

The only two I know of, if we exclude the Guitar Hero/Rock Band ones are:

I don't know if the Hypertouch is real yet or still a concept, but the Kitara is available now.

share|improve this answer
guess it's the miso I saw. so the name is "Digital Guitar"! – KMC Feb 4 '12 at 1:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.