Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

No, not a final gradual ritardando. It's hard for me to describe. It may only be a thing in musical theater. Here are some examples:

share|improve this question
up vote 11 down vote accepted

This musical section is referred to colloquially as the "kick line." (see also The Rockettes)

It is characterized by 4/4 (or equivalent) meter, and a tempo drastically reduced from whatever came immediately prior, often accelerating gradually to eventually match that of what came before.

You're correct that it is specific to musical theatre; the name comes from the choreography that often accompanied it of a line of dancers doing unison kicks in time with the music.

It shows up at the end of songs because this choreography would often be used for a "big finish".

This name applies equally to the musical idiom as well as the dance idiom, even if the choreography is totally different (in the case of the Tony Awards clip) or not present at all (in the case of the West Side Story clip).

share|improve this answer

It could also be a fermata which means pause and is used to give a drawn out effect towards the end of pieces.

share|improve this answer

Another notation that could be what you need is a corona (in english is fermata). It is often used in final parts and allow the player to keep a note as long as he wants.

For more information see the wikipedia page

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.