Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am currently obsessed with the track by Celldweller called "Last Firstborn". Is there any name for the keyboard technique used in the chorus?

In this YouTube video you can hear it from 1:28 right until 1:57:

Edit: If it's not some particular technique with keyboard itself, then it has to be some synthesizer effect (it's an 50/50 electronic music after all) and identifying its name will be sufficient to.

share|improve this question
Identifying other tracks using this would fall into shopping recommendations (off-topic), I think. That said, can you be more specific? The only thing that stands out about the keyboard part to me is that it's quite fast. – Matthew Read Feb 10 '12 at 18:00
@MatthewRead, thanks, then it's should be some kind of synth effect layed onto the keyboard sound. Anyway, negative answer is answer too. :) – hijarian Feb 11 '12 at 3:04
up vote 4 down vote accepted

That is just a rapid arpeggio - most synths these days will auto-arpeggiate sets of chords you play in.

The Access Virus synth does this quite well. I couldn't find the video sample I was looking for, but this should give an example.

share|improve this answer
OK, so, this turns out to be so basic, then... Thank you very much, @DrMayhem! – hijarian Feb 11 '12 at 16:43

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.