Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I got a pretty nice Olds Ambassador from Goodwill. There was duct tape over the spit valve -- the whole water key assembly is missing.

I think I could repair it myself, but am not quite sure where to find the part. I don't see many online.

Does anyone know if other trombones or brass instruments use similar enough water keys that I could substitute? And where I could find one?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Any local repair shop can order this part from a brass supply company like Allied Supply for about $15 + shipping. It needs to be soldered onto the slide. This is special solder ordered from a brass supply company for which they use an acetylene tank. This is an uncommon setup for the everyday person.

However, most shops (like mine) charge ~$25 total for this service. Its a common repair.

share|improve this answer
This will probably work. However, considering F E Olds has been out of business thirty-something years, the cost of the key may be more expensive than some other company which is still producing parts. – American Luke May 4 '12 at 0:31
Indeed; there's really no reason to try to find an original F.E. Olds key assembly when a present-day part will work just fine. – NReilingh May 4 '12 at 3:00
I looked in the Allied Supply catalog, you can definitely get parts for the Olds Ambassador. However, I agree in that it would be cost effective and prudent for a repair shop to see if a universal water key would work. – Pam May 4 '12 at 10:50
Out of curiosity, why is special solder needed? – Dr. Johnny Mohawk May 4 '12 at 19:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.