Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm no guitarist and this might be an 'obvious' question to those who know - but there's a backing-guitar effect often heard in many funky/disco songs which I can only describe as a sort of "wakka-wakka" sound!

It's probably easier to hear than describe, so I've included a couple of clips (Bee Gees, other artists are available) to demonstrate below.

Is this effect classed as a "wah-wah" sound, a combination of techniques, or something different altogether?

Example #1 (Nights on Broadway): Guitar enters at approx 23 secs:

Example #2 (Night Fever): Effect heard clearly from 1:25:

share|improve this question
Note that, in addition to the probably correct assertion that it is a Wah pedal, a very popular funk effect is the envelope follower aka Autowah. This effect is essentially the wah with some sort of volume (voltage?) trigger where the louder/harder you play, the more pronounced the effect can be. Adjustable by knobs of course. – horatio May 10 '12 at 21:03
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Yes I concur, in both examples the rhythm guitar is using a wah wah pedal.

Let's explore this a little further. The early versions of the wah wah pedal used a filter to make variations in the peak response frequency of the guitar input depending on where the pedal was positioned. Rocking the pedal back and forth opens and closes this filter response. Now a days you can find many effect pedals with an automated version of the wah effect by driving the filter with an adjustable variable speed oscillator.

There is considerable technique in using a wah wah pedal and some brands are favored over others. Good technique is more than merely rocking the pedal back and forth, it has to do with timing and where the musician places the upper and lower bound of the pedal excursion that creates the right effect for the song. This effect pedal is likely one of the most expressive of all the effects because it allows for human touch while playing albeit it is usually a foot. You should also take a look at Peter Frampton's talk box which is a close relative to the wha wha effect.

As sited in this wiki article "Chet Atkins had used a similar, self-designed device on his late 1950's recordings of "Hot Toddy" and Slinkey."


However, the most notable examples came late in the 1960's with Cream's "White Room", Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)".

If one searches long enough you might find some non main stream electronic music wizard doing something similar before Atkins with using manually controlled filters and any of a variety of audio sources.

share|improve this answer

Yes it's a Wah-wah pedal. Pretty standard funky line. I love it!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.