Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Band directors and other teachers will colloquially refer to a piece's "roadmap": the flow control commands denoted by repeats, repeat endings, D.C.s,, codas, etc.

Is there a proper word for that concept? Something more idiomatic to music than to automobiles? Perhaps something in Italian or German or some other language?

share|improve this question

Form as in "Sonata Form". (This is English and German as well.)

See here:

Also keep in mind that the examples you gave, Repetitions and Jumps, are abbreviations. You tagged this question "Notation" which is quite correct for these things. You can unfold them and write out the music as one long piece without changing the music or the interpretation even one bit.

In the end it comes down to form.

share|improve this answer
I second "Form". There are many kinds of forms of course, not just sonata form. But the precise layout of the sections of each piece of music is a little different--there are no "perfectly orthodox" examples of sonatas, symphonies or even songs (intro, verse, chorus, bridge, coda, etc.) for that matter. – user1044 Jul 6 '12 at 16:11
Sonata Form was just an example because it is so common. I could have said "Verse Refrain Verse Bridge Refrain" instead. And if you second Form then please upvote :) – nilsge Jul 6 '12 at 18:46
I think your own explanation says why this isn't quite the right answer. A piece has the same musical form regardless of how it's notated; you can expand the repeats and jumps without changing the form of the piece at all. But my question pertains precisely to the repeats and jumps themselves, not the underlying musical structure. – 75th Trombone Jul 8 '12 at 12:33

I would put forward the opinion that any terms for what you're referring to are highly contextual, but every teacher I have ever had referred to this as the "skeleton." I don't doubt this was localized to the community around me, but I think it's a convenient term that in the absence of anything "official" avoids some ambiguity.

share|improve this answer
Darn, that's better than mine! But at least we agree that 'form' doesn't quite serve. – luser droog Jul 6 '12 at 3:14

I would use the word "stitching" to describe this. While I agree that 'form' is the correct term, I feel it isn't sufficiently evocative on its own. Popular notions of what the 'form' means any technical use leads to Humpty-Dumpty falling off the Tower of Babel.

share|improve this answer
I just realized I completely flubbed the middle of that sentence. But, perhaps the sentence's very lack of form expresses some kind profound irony. Or a right-brain enantiodromia. :) – luser droog Jul 6 '12 at 3:12

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.