Take the 2-minute tour ×
Musical Practice & Performance Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I really like the octave down effects for 6 string guitar - so when you play it sounds like you have a bass backing each note.

What I want is the other way around - something that will make my bass sound like I have a guitar playing each note I play on bass, one octave above (option to go down aswell would be sweet but not required). I'd also like wet / dry outputs.

I tried using a Joyo Voodoo octave fuzz with mixed results. It almost does what I want but it only works with fuzz turned on (I want a clean sound, or atleast a way to use the octave effect independantly) and it's also far too quiet to use live.

I also don't have a huge amount of cash to spend, my limit would be around £50 or 75 USD ish.

Does anyone know if such a pedal exists and where I can get one? If not, are there any alternatives to a pedal to get that sound, or maybe a mod I could do to an existing pedal?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Matthew Read Jul 23 '12 at 20:21

Questions on Musical Practice & Performance Stack Exchange are expected to relate to music practice, performance, composition, technique, theory, or history within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Sorry, shopping questions are off-topic here. See this post for detail on why, and feel free to discuss the policy there. Check out the FAQ and please ask any other questions you might have that would be a better fit! –  Matthew Read Jul 23 '12 at 20:21
this wasn't a shopping recommendation question so much as a 'does this exist' / 'how can I do this' question. I do take the point about the FAQ but don't understand why such questions aren't wanted on the site. Seems a bit pernickety to me. –  jammypeach Jul 24 '12 at 8:20
OK I've read through the question & associated blog post you linked to, it does make sense to me now - I suppose I could put a bit more thought into how the question is phrased but it would still end up quite similar I think. In this particular case I already knew what I wanted, just not what shape & form it comes in or what it was called. I'll try to think through any future questions more though, as I do see how this question won't be particularly useful to future generations of pitch-shifting bassists! –  jammypeach Jul 24 '12 at 13:04
"What is this called" or "What should I look for in an octave pedal" would both be fine. You could rewrite this if you want but likely it would do better as a new question, if you care to make it. Thanks for following up! –  Matthew Read Jul 24 '12 at 18:27

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Digitech produce a Bass Whammy, which will give you an octave up or down among it's other effects. They are renowned for the quality of pitch shifting effects across their product range.

Boss and Line 6 also produce pitch shifters that can raise the pitch.

Digitech Bass Whammy

enter image description here

Harmony effects

  • One octave down - One octave up
  • One octave down - Fourth down
  • Fourth down - Third up
  • Fourth down - Fifth up
  • Fifth up - Sixth up
  • Fifth up - Octave up

Whammy effects

  • One octave up
  • Two semitones up
  • Two semitones down
  • Four semitones down
  • One octave down

Detune effects

  • Detune
share|improve this answer

I have heard about a new product from Fishman called the Fishman Fission Bass Power Chord Octave Pedal. It not only produces a note an octave higher than the note you play, it can also produce a full power chord (octave, fifth, second octave).

share|improve this answer
What's the price? –  American Luke Jul 23 '12 at 0:40
Click on the link I gave you. –  Wheat Williams Jul 23 '12 at 1:05
Nice work, but a little expensive... –  American Luke Jul 23 '12 at 12:41

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.