Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've noticed an effect that I use when playing acoustic piano. Play a note or chord staccato, and quite quickly after playing it, press the damper pedal. The effect is rather like an echo which continues till the pedal is released. It's not the normal 'ped.' effect, where you hold keys down, and then press the pedal.

Is there a specific term for this effect, and does anybody out there use it? Sadly, it doesn't work with electronic keyboards - it's purely mechanical.

share|improve this question
It does work with some Roland virtual piano's. If you tried it with a Yamaha, I'm not surprised. – 11684 Oct 28 '12 at 18:53

I don't think I have ever seen that effect notated. There have been plenty of composers doing all kinds of things to the piano over the last few decades, and so someone may have used this in a piece. But if nobody else speaks up, you get to name it and claim it.

share|improve this answer
Yeah, name it the Timpedal? And how would one publish that? I don't think that will come through, there are only about 670 users on Music SE... – 11684 Oct 28 '12 at 18:54

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.