Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Looking at this wiring diagram I see there are two 500k-w pots and one 500k-d pot. My question is what is the difference between the two pots (500k-w and 500k-d) and what should I ask for when I go to an electronic shop. Does the -w/-d make a difference of 500k pot is enough ?


share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

-w probably refers to audio taper pots and -d to linear taper.

Audio taper pots are usually used for volume so that the change in volume over the travel of the pot is equal.

Read here for a more expansive explanation.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.