Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am willing to add another tone potentiometer to my guitar and I wanted to know what is the best way to add a hole in the pickguard for the new pot.

Is there a dedicated tool for this task? What is the best and safest way to achieve this?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Your simplest bet is just to use a drill bit suitable for plastics (assuming it is a plastic pick guard)

I would probably use a small bit first, then one with the correct diameter for your pot, or better yet, something like this, which gives you the best of both worlds.

enter image description here

This is the Armeg WWB10.0T Wood Beaver Drill 10mm

share|improve this answer
I wasn't aware of such drills :), sounds good , thanks! – giorashc Sep 12 '12 at 14:36

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.