Take the 2-minute tour ×
Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In concert video footage of Muse, I've seen both the guitarist and bassist use touch-pad devices integrated with their instruments.

What are these devices, and what are they designed to do?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 10 down vote accepted

Those are x-y MIDI controllers more commonly referred to as Kaoss Pads.

If you are familiar with a modulation wheel on a MIDI keyboard, you know you can assign that wheel to control any number of aspects of the instrument, from pitch bend, to volume, to vibrato, an LFO, or perhaps a filter. The x-y pad gives you two of those on a plane, with which you can control anything that's MIDI controllable (even lights if you've got the right setup).

share|improve this answer
Matt's guitars are made by Hugh Manson- mansonguitars.co.uk and quite a few have two- or one-dimensional midi controllers. –  Dr Mayhem Nov 6 '12 at 8:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.