Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am referring to the practice of repeating the root or tonic of a scale when spelling (not playing) a scale. I recall being told to __ my scale but I cannot remember the word… at all.

share|improve this question
Can you give an example of it written out on a staff? I think that would help me understand what you are asking for. – Reina Abolofia Jan 25 '13 at 5:00
@ReinaAbolofia I think e.g. A B C# D E F# G# (A) -- saying that last A is ____ing the scale. – Matthew Read Jan 25 '13 at 5:35
I'm thinking maybe "completing" the scale? – Reina Abolofia Jan 26 '13 at 1:34

I'd probably call it completing or finishing or even resolving the scale. But I imagine the word you might have heard is tagging in the sense of touching base.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.