Take the 2-minute tour ×
Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know this is a ridiculous question, but thought I'd ask anyways since I saw an article on wikihow for a low B. http://www.ehow.com/how_5210357_play-low-recorder.html I need a lower A than the one with 2 top holes(and the bottom hole) covered. It would allow me to play a lot of songs in the lower scale

share|improve this question
Using a sub-subcontrabass recorder you can play very low A:s. ;-P –  Ulf Åkerstedt Mar 9 '13 at 9:49
If your playing a recorder in C, that is impossible. The tutorial you linked to is for a recorder in F. –  American Luke Mar 10 '13 at 0:14
To move it from impossible to really hard, ... You need to physically increase the length of the instrument. What about some sort of attachment? An inch or two of pipe held in a frame that you can walk up to and stick the recorder on it to produce the trick note. [It's 12:46AM here now: imagination time.] –  luser droog Mar 10 '13 at 6:46
To continue along the lines of what @luserdroog is saying, I'd suggest checking out this video, begin at 2:20, youtube.com/watch?v=T4eR719RhhY –  Reina Abolofia Mar 11 '13 at 2:23
@ReinaAbolofia is somehting like this available on the market? –  Somesh Mukherjee Mar 16 '13 at 9:01

1 Answer 1

The first question I would ask is which recorder are you playing on? The soprano and tenor recorders can go as low as C and the sopranino and alto recorders go down to low F. In the link you shared, I believe they are discussing an alto recorder. That being said, if you want to finger a low A on an alto recorder, cover the left hand holes as described in the link, then add the right hand index and middle fingers.

You can find a nice interactive fingering chart for C recorders and F recorders at these links. Just be sure to use the correct chart for the instrument you are playing.

If you are ever confused about which type of recorder you are playing, the difference is mostly just in the size. The most common recorder is the Soprano. If you have a tuner or piano, you can check the key of the recorder (whether it is a C or F recorder) by playing the note that covers all the holes and see which pitch comes out.

share|improve this answer
I believe OP is asking for "trick fingerings", like covering the bottom hole, to produce an A below the lowest C on a C recorder (probably a soprano unless OP has extremely long fingers :-) –  Ulf Åkerstedt Mar 9 '13 at 10:00
Thanks, it seems you are correct. In that case, I'd just suggest OP use an alto recorder instead of a soprano. –  Reina Abolofia Mar 9 '13 at 18:05
I have a Soprano C recorder. Trick Fingerings would be fine –  Somesh Mukherjee Mar 16 '13 at 9:00
I actually want something on a C recorder. Soprano. The fingering matches this one. hrs.hampshire.org.uk/finger/cfinger.html –  Somesh Mukherjee Mar 16 '13 at 9:01
The only way your are going to get a low A out of a C recorder is to add more piping to the instrument. I'd highly suggest just getting an alto recorder. –  Reina Abolofia Mar 17 '13 at 10:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.