Tag Info

New answers tagged


Irish whistle (aka pennywhistle aka tin whistle) is not only the easiest to learn, it's also the probably the only musical instrument in the world where you can get a professional level instrument for around US$20. A great starter site for Irish whistle is Chiff and Fipple.


Let try some Boucher guitar, There are known for sounding like pre-war martin. The company also make Adirondack top for high end Martin and taylor.


Well, "non-reed" eliminates most of the woodwind family, leaving only the flute family. Recorder is pretty easy. There's a reason it's the instrument of choice for elementary school music programs. It takes zero embouchure (mouth position/strength) and almost no air support--you pretty much just blow into it gently and it works. Other recorder-like ...


One awesome instrument for travelers is the ukulele. Recently I heard an interview with a Belgian artist who says that it is the only instrument she takes with her when traveling. You can play chords on it (handy to sing along with or write music), and she said it even fits in her purse. :-)


I'm going to bet the recorder fits this bill.


There's one more important thing the answers so far haven't mentioned: a pickup's output signal doesn't follow the string movement simply in a linear fashion, but in a rather complex relation depending on inhomogenity of the magnetic field, coil geometry etc., and the closer you get the more nonlinear. The result is somewhat similar to a gentle but very ...


They have been called Rimba tubes. Possibly from the term marimba. Could have been a tuber, but I think there's something similar in existence...


There are actually quite major differences: The Xylophone has a series of wooden bars, tuned to the relevant notes The marimba has similar wooden bars with resonators (originally gourds, now tubes) underneath The Vibraphone is a variant of the marimba, often with metal bars, but with a spinning butterfly at the top of the resonator giving a ...


As @Wheat Williams says, the piano needs a bit of regulation or adjustment. As @SeuMenezes you need to hire a professional piano technician who will do this and most likely tune the piano for you as well. This isn't something you want to do yourself because you can cause more damage which will cost a lot more to fix than having the technician come in once ...


Of course you can! Just be wary because it may not sound very good (in certain styles). This may cause your neck to twist due to uneven tension on the strings. This is why string manufacturers try to balance the string tension as well as possible. You may also want to know that this will cause unbalanced volume/power produced by the strings. The strings ...


At 1:28 I hear I a Celeste enter, but I don't think that's what's playing before that (at 1:23). It sounds a combination of a harp and some kind of chromatic percussion. Unfortunately, I don't recognize it. It might be Orchestral Chimes, but that doesn't sound quite right... EDIT: Instrument in question is heard more prominently here. This page suggests it ...

Top 50 recent answers are included