I'm currently looking to get the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen interface, from what I see they have 1/4" balanced outputs.

My current PC speakers have RCA inputs, can I use a TS to RCA adapter to connect the balanced output of the interface with the unbalanced input of the speakers? Would this harm the interface or the speaker?

  • 'Balance' speakers, their inputs and outputs, don't exist. balancing happens on the input into the pre-amp. It just happens that trs are sometimes referred to as 'balanced jacks'. Phono to jack will be fine. – Tim May 30 '20 at 16:00
  • 1
    In the context of music-tech, 'Speaker' now implies 'powered speaker'. An output, a cable and an amplifier can all be balanced. And to have a 'balanced' connection, they all must be! – Laurence Payne May 30 '20 at 19:28

A simple adapter will be just fine. It is common in this type of equipment for a balanced output on a TRS jack to fall back to unbalanced when a TS plug is inserted.

  • Exactly right, and in fact I know that particular audio interface well and its manual clearly says that its two balanced outputs can be used either way (TRS balanced and TS unbalanced). – Alex Lopez Jun 11 '20 at 13:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.