What is that thing called that Ed Sheeran is doing with his voice on the word "no". It sounds like shouting but how does he do that?

  • 1
    Surely 'know'/
    – Tim
    Jun 26 '20 at 9:15
  • 1
    @Tim Sorry, I didn't paid attention to the lyrics. Yes it's definitely "know". Jun 26 '20 at 15:08

It's one of the many forms of vocal "distortion".

You'll hear it far more often in rock and metal singing styles.

You might want to check out youtube videos on singing with rasp and distortion by the likes of Ken Tamplin (other vocal coaches are of course available!).

If you are wanting to do it and starting out as a singer that has never done it, go easy on your voice.

  • When I was a boy I tried to sing like Louis Armstrong and I think I disturbed my voice by distortion in the age of 14. Jun 26 '20 at 16:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.