When guitarists describe the sound of their guitars, a lot of terms are used.

What does a guitarist mean when they talk about top and bottom end?

  • 2
    Probably a great example of bottom-end is Spinal Tap's "Big Bottom", which has dual lead bass lines. :-)
    – Anonymous
    Commented Jan 16, 2011 at 22:51
  • There are several versions on the YouTube. It's a tongue-in-cheek song, in the typical crude Spinal Tap style. Oh, it's three basses, one of which is a double-neck. They were having some fun when they filmed that song.
    – Anonymous
    Commented Jan 17, 2011 at 0:13
  • I'll also recommend "Boris the Spider", by John Entwhistle, and almost any song Chris Squire is on with Yes. Both are well recognized for super-clean, high-fidelity, solid bass sound.
    – Anonymous
    Commented Jan 24, 2011 at 0:44

3 Answers 3


Top end refers to the treble tones on your guitar and bottom end refers to the bass tones; these are also referred to as 'highs' and 'lows'; and can be adjusted using the EQ on your amp.

  • Not just the EQ on your amp is used to adjust this. Pedals, rack mount equalizers, and even different guitars will affect these parameters.
    – Jduv
    Commented Jan 16, 2011 at 21:14
  • Of course; EQ can be applied anywhere in the signal path, or at any time during production. The EQ on the amp however is your first stop for your playing tone.
    – Bella
    Commented Jan 16, 2011 at 21:20
  • 1
    The tone control on your guitar is the first stop, for those guitars with them.
    – Anonymous
    Commented Jan 16, 2011 at 21:26
  • @the Tin Man: good point
    – Bella
    Commented Jan 16, 2011 at 21:33

DRL's right but, just for completeness, some occassionally use it to describe the overall quality of the sound. "It's a low-end guitar but it sounds top-end," etc.

  • I'm pretty sure this usage is usually "low-end" vs. "high-end," as opposed to top and bottom being asked about here.
    – NReilingh
    Commented May 27, 2011 at 21:58
  • I've heard both, but low- and high-end are definitely more common.
    – user28
    Commented May 27, 2011 at 21:59

Low End = bass

Top End = treble (high end, etc.)

The terms describe the frequency domain of a tone.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.