1

I was given an old Gibson G20 (previously incorrectly given as B20) guitar combo amp. It's solid state, 10 inch driver with a spring reverb. Date of manufacture unknown. When I opened the back panel to look at the electronics I noticed white fabric lining the inside of the electronics housing. My guess is that it's asbestos to contain a fire if the amp should smoke itself. I hope I'm wrong because asbestos is pretty messy s#!÷.

Does anybody have any idea what this material is?

Cover removed, white material on inside of cover and electronics housing.

Close-up of material, where it was already damaged.

Another close-up.

The material on the inside corner of the electronics housing.

Thanks in advance.

  • 1
    Any pictures you can share? – topo Reinstate Monica Jul 16 at 4:10
  • I think a B20 is a guitar. Might you have a G20 rather than a B20? When I googled for B20 I got guitar pictures, but G20 gave me combo pictures. – Brian THOMAS Jul 16 at 11:41
  • Yeah sorry. G-20. Brain cramp. – Louis B. Jul 16 at 14:26
  • 1
    Added photographs. – Louis B. Jul 17 at 9:29
2

Case closed. I contacted a local asbestos abatement company and the manager says asbestos was at one time used as fire retardant in some electronics. Anyway, said company is disposing of it. Thanks all.

| improve this answer | |
  • Are they disposing of the amp, or just removing the asbestos? – topo Reinstate Monica Jul 17 at 20:21
  • Disposal.I don't want crud like that hanging around. – Louis B. Jul 17 at 20:25
0

Without a picture, this is guesswork, however, asbestos seems far fetched to me. I'm suggesting perhaps a fiberglass weave intended to insulate the electronics from the chassis and also maybe prevent extensive damage in case of fire since it also doesn't burn and it costs less than asbestos. You mentioned it's a solid state amp, and I believe that the dangers of asbestos were already known when solid state amplifiers came into wide range popularity.

| improve this answer | |
  • The G20 amp was made in the 60s and 70s. Asbestos wasn't really begun to be phased out until the 70s and, surprisingly, is still not banned in the U.S. – Don Hosek Jul 16 at 21:37
  • It doesn't look or feel like fiberglass. – Louis B. Jul 17 at 9:28
  • @Louis B.- With pictures added, I have to agree. I'd be inclined to wear a dust mask when working on it. Perhaps consider replacing with heavy weight fish paper as is sometimes used as an insulator. – skinny peacock Jul 17 at 16:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.