Whenever I try picking a string by itself (usually lower strings) it makes a background sound thats kind of like the pick rubbing against the string when I play that overshadows the actual fret sound. The sound is kind of like a thum sound

I have a feeling it’s my pick hitting the vibrating string when I play. How can I stop this?

  • 2
    Hi Leighton. Welcome to Music Practice & Theory SE. Your question is a bit unclear. To get the best answers, please edit it to be explicit about what you're asking.
    – Aaron
    Commented Oct 28, 2020 at 2:11
  • It’s like the pick striking the strings making what I’m playing sound sloppy and unclear
    – Leighton
    Commented Oct 28, 2020 at 4:22
  • The description is clear. What is the question?
    – Aaron
    Commented Oct 28, 2020 at 4:25
  • I guess you're asking how to stop the noise. But it's only a guess.
    – Tim
    Commented Oct 28, 2020 at 6:40
  • 4
    So you want to learn a better picking technique? Getting a teacher might not be a bad idea. Trying to diagnose the problems via textual messaging on this Q&A site can be difficult, but who knows, maybe it's possible. Try uploading a video on Youtube that very clearly shows what your picking hand is doing, up close and with sound. Or even an audio example, but then it'll have to be guessed what you're actually doing. Commented Oct 28, 2020 at 9:54

2 Answers 2


The amount of pick sliding over the string may be the problem. Try holding the pick more gently, and changing the length it sticks out, thus not more than 3 or 4 mm showing. Also, you may be digging into the string too much.

There are times when we hold the pick differently, and attack the strings differently, for certain different sounds. You've found one.


Dude try setting your pickups down lower in the guitar. I think your pick is hitting the pickup.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.