I wonder if anyone can tell me what the curved notation next to the 8th notes are. If it helps, this is a score for saxophone.


Unknown Notation

  • A nice check would be to listen to a recording of whatever it is - obviously if available. – Tim Jun 18 at 16:32
  • Looking at the amount of discussion arising in the currently only answer, the question should deliver significantly more context: Style, period, name of the piece, composer just for the beginning. – guidot Jun 19 at 21:39

It's a "scoop" or "slide". It means you bend into the note, starting a bit flat and then bending the note upward until it's in tune.

  • Probably all it can be, although a lift is a straight line rising and a scoop is a 'bracket' opposite to the direction here. – Tim Jun 18 at 16:01
  • Is this notation used for saxophone or wind instruments only? – user1079505 Jun 18 at 17:41
  • 1
    @user1079505 I know it because I've seen it for trumpet, so it applies to brass, but I don't know about, say, flute, or string instruments. – Aaron Jun 18 at 17:42
  • Not really how you write a scoop. But yes, possibly a 'best attempt' in a rudimentary notation program. – Laurence Payne Jun 18 at 22:34
  • @user1079505: I've seen it in guitar notation for when the bend is less than a half-step. This example I'd interpret as: one fret down from normal, pre-bend the string 1/4-step, strike it, and quickly bend it another 1/4-step to the given note. – AkselA Jun 19 at 9:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.