I wonder if anyone can tell me what the curved notation next to the 8th notes are. If it helps, this is a score for saxophone.


Unknown Notation

  • A nice check would be to listen to a recording of whatever it is - obviously if available.
    – Tim
    Jun 18 '21 at 16:32
  • 1
    Looking at the amount of discussion arising in the currently only answer, the question should deliver significantly more context: Style, period, name of the piece, composer just for the beginning.
    – guidot
    Jun 19 '21 at 21:39
  • @guidot The tags might give you a clue! 'Notation, jazz, saxophone'. Oct 1 '21 at 20:19

It's a "scoop" or "slide". It means you bend into the note, starting a bit flat and then bending the note upward until it's in tune.

Typically, the symbol looks like ")" rather than "(".

Example of standard scoop notation

  • 1
    Probably all it can be, although a lift is a straight line rising and a scoop is a 'bracket' opposite to the direction here.
    – Tim
    Jun 18 '21 at 16:01
  • Is this notation used for saxophone or wind instruments only? Jun 18 '21 at 17:41
  • 1
    @user1079505 I know it because I've seen it for trumpet, so it applies to brass, but I don't know about, say, flute, or string instruments.
    – Aaron
    Jun 18 '21 at 17:42
  • Not really how you write a scoop. But yes, possibly a 'best attempt' in a rudimentary notation program. Jun 18 '21 at 22:34
  • @user1079505: I've seen it in guitar notation for when the bend is less than a half-step. This example I'd interpret as: one fret down from normal, pre-bend the string 1/4-step, strike it, and quickly bend it another 1/4-step to the given note.
    – AkselA
    Jun 19 '21 at 9:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.