I've recently been creating my own rendition of Amazing Grace, and while I was working to add a bit of stylistic elements to it, I imagined a melody in my head which would require 3 beats in the space of one eighth note.

I am aware that this sort of thing exists, as I have often heard it, but I have not managed to find either the name of this note, or how it is written.

To add a bit more clarity, I am looking for three equal beats in the space of one eighth beat. Here is an image of what said note might look like (at least how I imagined)

1 Answer 1


That would be called a "sextuplet", or sometimes a "sixteenth-note triplet". It's notated with a "3" or a "6" above a group of notes with two flags/beams. It's a type of tuplet- so, a "3" with two beams indicates three notes in the space of one eigth note, and a "6" with two beams indicates 6 notes in the space of a quarter note. See this example:

enter image description here

It's unclear exactly what rhythm you want, from your example notation.

  • Thanks so much, the first example is exactly what I was looking for! Aug 9, 2021 at 21:42
  • 4
    If there's 6 of them, it's a sextuplet. If just 3, a triplet. Aug 9, 2021 at 22:52
  • Hold on, not "eighth-note triplet"? Referring to the fact it's dividing an eighth note into three equal parts
    – Divide1918
    Aug 10, 2021 at 13:53
  • 1
    I believe they're called "sixteenth note triplets" because the notation uses two beams/flags, like sixteenth notes.
    – Edward
    Aug 10, 2021 at 21:22
  • Yes. Triplets come in any note length. All that matters is that three of them fill the time normally taken by two. They're always 'triplets'. Aug 11, 2021 at 23:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.