And so the question: I would like to indicate a certain bar in a trombone score using the flutter technique. How can I label and remove it correctly?

I mean labels like for strings pizz and arco

By flutter technique I mean this:

  • 2
    This is a great question, and the answer applies to multiple instruments. I've taken the liberty of generalizing the title, but of course please roll back if you feel the change is inappropriate.
    – Aaron
    Sep 12 at 15:50
  • @Aaron Ok, thanks, I think I agree with you
    – RoyalGoose
    Sep 12 at 15:51

The notation shown in the video — the standard tremolo notation — is the correct way to indicate a flutter. In can (should) be supplemented with "f.t" (flutter tongue) for clarity.

As long as a note has no tremolo, it will be played normally.

For an extended passage, you can write "flutter" at the beginning and either use a dotted line (as in an 8va indication) or "end flutter" (or similar) to denote the passage.

  • Thanks for the answer, I think this is exactly what I need.
    – RoyalGoose
    Sep 12 at 15:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.