I guess it's some type of trombone, but I can't find its correct name anywhere.

enter image description here

P.S. If you're wondering, here's where I got this shot from:


This is apparently called a contrabass valve trombone, or sometimes a cimbasso if I am correct.


  • 2
    Any particular composer or period of music history it was favoured by/in?
    – Tim
    Sep 13 '21 at 11:12
  • 2
    @Tim Maybe a good new question ;) ?
    – Tom
    Sep 13 '21 at 11:27
  • 5
    @Tim: probably Wagner 😉 Sep 13 '21 at 13:46
  • Interesting, it appears to have rotary valves like a French horn instead of piston valves like regular valve trombones. Sep 13 '21 at 14:53
  • @johnbelzaguy Might actually be the difference between the CVT and the cimbasso!
    – Tom
    Sep 13 '21 at 14:57

This is a cimbasso (a valve contrabass trombone). The instrument is mainly used in Verdi's operas (and one opera each by Bellini and Puccini). The modern instrument has six rotary valves and is normally pitched in F, but there are also instruments in B-flat. Both instruments can be heard here:

Mattis Cederberg of the West German Radio Big Band uses a cimbasso for jazz:

  • 1
    Oh, thanks a lot for the answer and for the wiki article
    – RoyalGoose
    Sep 13 '21 at 15:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.