I was watching a program talking about a Japanese rapper (don't know if this is common to many rappers, or features in English rap, though) who often uses one rhyming technique of matching vowel patterns on consecutive lines. Assonance is repeating the same sound, but this might be like:

The cat spend nights on fun things
The rams fed pills stop butting

The program, aimed at the casual viewer, just used (in Japanese) something like "He used the same vowel pattern on each line", but is there a proper name for this technique?

  • 2
    Although we have a tag for "lyrics," this seems to me a question about poetry or about word definition. It might be a very good fit at english.stackexchange.com . (I do not imply a "rap isn't music" narrative—just that this is more a question of poetic technique and language.) Sep 21, 2021 at 13:30
  • 4
    I’m voting to close this question because it would be a better fit on english.stackexchange.com Sep 21, 2021 at 13:31
  • Yes, this is assonance. The Spanish romance meter is based on patterns like this. Sep 22, 2021 at 14:17

1 Answer 1


Probably a good name for it would be assonance, which is a writing technique mainly used in poetry.

Assonance is a resemblance in the sounds of words/syllables either between their vowels (e.g., meat, bean) or between their consonants (e.g., keep, cape).

If you look at examples, it is also called assonance if the repetition of rhythm or vowels are spread between several lines.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.