In a piece that starts with an anacrusis/pickup measure and ends, or ends a repeating section, with a compensating incomplete measure, is there a term for that final measure?

  • incomplete measure can describe both the starting and ending measures.
  • anacrusis and pickup refers only to the starting measure.
  • ??? refers only to the ending measure?

2 Answers 2


I don't think there is a specific term for it. Cute options would be calling it a katacrusis or a dropoff bar, with a somewhat moderate chance of people getting your meaning. They would also be sort-of candidates for an official term if such a one would often be asked for. But I don't think that happens often enough that some term would have had a chance to be solidly established.

P.S.: I see that Wikipedia in its entry for "anacrusis" refers to the completing bar as "complement" which seems as nice a term as any.


The simplest way to describe it would be to use its bar number. As for an actual name of this kind of incomplete bar; I don’t know of one.

Incidentally, a pickup bar at the beginning of a piece is bar 0.

  • Never noticed 'bar 0' before - but it's right. Still learning... +1.
    – Tim
    Oct 12, 2021 at 6:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.