I was watching Music Matters' video on counterpoint when I came across this chord progression:

| I V | I V IV | II♭ V I VI I♭ | II♭ V I ||

My question is what is a I♭ chord. Is this chord common? Is this correct notation (vs VII)? Does it have a name (like the neapolitan chord after it)? Does it have a conventional use?



I think, based on the co.uk domain, and the instructor's accent, that those are not flat signs, but British inversion signs.

a = root position

b = first inversion

c = second inversion

I'm also assume the system used doesn't change letter case for major/minor qualities.

So, it means | ii6/3 V I vi I6/3 | ii6/3 ... in the system that I'm familiar with.


  • So it's neither b or ♭ but 6? Nov 19 '21 at 0:26
  • 11
    This is exactly what the instructor says ("two bee, or two in first inversion") if you watch the video for about a minute and a half.
    – ex nihilo
    Nov 19 '21 at 0:26
  • @exnihilo ah, got it, thanks. Nov 19 '21 at 0:30
  • @user1079505, in that system it is a letter, lower case "b". If you use Arabic numerals, like in figured bass, it would be a 6/3 or for short just 6. All of them meaning a first inversion chord. Nov 19 '21 at 0:38
  • Thanks for answering my question! Nov 19 '21 at 2:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.