I'm a beginner and have been getting some trouble with my mini amp. It's the borne strike g30 (brazilian brand) and its settings are: a drive switch (which honestly just seems to be making the volume louder) gain, bass, treble and volume. I've been messing around with them but can't seem to get a nice distorted sound (especially without a mid knob). Can I alter something on my amp instead of buying pedals? Thanks!
Well, I wouldn't expect too much from a basic small amplifier... but the steps should be the following:
- make sure you set volume and tone knobs on the guitar to the maximum setting
- press the drive button on the amplifier
- turn up the gain knob on the amp. Don't be afraid to go to maximum
- adjust the volume with volume knob on the amplifier
- adjust the tone with bass/treble knobs on the amplifier
In the amp there is some component that operates linearly in some range, which results in clean tone, and non-linearly for larger signals, resulting in overdriven sound. This is why you need large input signaln for overdrive. The gain knob adjusts volume of the signal coming into the amp. Overdrive won't occur if the input signal is too low.
Most amplifiers and overdrive/distortion pedals have quite large range of gain adjustments. This video shows a blues tone with just 1/4 of the gain knob setting in the amp:I guess you can get more rock-style overdrive with higher settings.