When I remove the valves of a piston tuba, do I remove the spring also?
Short answer, no.
- To oil it, first unscrew the top valve cap and remove piston.
- Next wipe off the old oil.
- Apply the new oil to the piston.
- Replace piston to valve casing and re-screw top valve cap.
- Screw the finger-piece clockwise until it stops. This aligns the piston correctly in the casing.
- Press and depress key quickly to work oil around.
You don't need to remove the spring. However, a little oil on it won't go amiss.