How can I do this "vibrato" sound on a keyboard piano like at the start of "Minor" by Gracie Abrams?

3 Answers 3


What you call vibrato is usually referred to as “tremolo”. It is an effect where the volume oscillates.

Many electronic keyboards have this as one of the available built-in effects. It is also standard with most Digital Audio Workstation software. And plenty of choice in tremolo stomp-box effect pedals too.

The keyboard in the song you mention seems to be a Wurlitzer sound. To illustrate: Here is a sample Wurlitzer (imitation) sound with tremolo effect.


  • 2
    Thanks for putting me straight on my now-deleted answer. I confused Rhodes with Wurlitzer.
    – Aaron
    Apr 18 at 20:23
  • Come to think of it, the Hammond B3 was also famous for it's vibrato, yes?
    – Aaron
    Apr 18 at 21:05
  • That one is a varying frequency vibrato (or actually varying phase, to be more precise). Anyway, not the topic of the question. Apr 18 at 21:20
  • 1
    @Aaron - Hammond B3 (and others) use the Leslie effect - quite complex in actuality, using rotating speaker baffle and horn. Sort of mi of vib and trem. Might be worh a question!
    – Tim
    Apr 19 at 6:40
  • 2
    The Hammond organ has a Vibrato setting that's independent of the Leslie. Google for Hammond Vibrato Scanner. Brilliant concept! Apr 19 at 14:35

Some keyboards have a dedicated pitch oscillator on the far left side. If you're playing on a regular piano, it will not be possible.


You can play a note and then the same note one octave up, alternating fast. Or you can play the note and the next fifth, also alternating fast. It will sound like a tremolo.

There is a video demonstrating the effect (The author demonstrates the technique at around 1:45).

  • 1
    I agree that it could be called tremolo but it doesn't sound anything like the song the question was about.
    – ojs
    Apr 19 at 20:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.