is there a standardised name for these type of "hold" lines in contemporary music notation? hold line?

I've googled around quite a bit but couldn't find a distinct name for this notation. Should I conclude that this is some personal invention by Robert Coinel (from which this image is taken here)?

3 Answers 3


These thick horizontal lines are referred to as "extenders" in Behind Bars - The Definitive Guide to Music Notation (p. 632).


Gardner Read's term for thick horizontal lines like that, as well as similar innovations such as the posted example's eights-becoming-sixteenths beaming, is time notation (p. 72, Music notation: a manual of modern practice, 2nd ed., 1969). He illustrates this with excerpts from Earle Brown's 1959 Hodograph I and Luciano Berio's 1960 Circles.

Brown himself calls this notation proportional.


LilyPond calls them Duration lines. I have no idea whether this is a standard term.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.