I'm vaguely sure that an ornament exists for this but I'm not sure which one it is. I'm a music theory beginner, so pardon me if there's a simple answer. Basically, I want to alternate quickly between two notes an octave away from each other, but I'm not sure which ornament accomplishes this. It's like a trill except a farther distance apart. Any ideas?

1 Answer 1


You're describing a tremolo. You can find good information on how to write it in the post What is this music symbol and how do I play it?

  • 1
    For those wondering, you can set a tremolo across any desired interval. Commented Jul 6, 2022 at 15:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.