I wanted to apply the groove of a downloaded kick drum loop to my own kick sound. The plan was to convert the loop’s audio, which happened to be in stereo, to MIDI and then simply hot swap the instrument with my own kick. Unfortunately, what I saw was this:
I figured the problem was related to the stereo nature of the audio file, so I exported it in mono and then returned the file to my session. To my surprise, converting the mono audio file to MIDI gave the same result.
My backup plan was to extract the groove from the audio file to use with my already-programmed, beat-matched kick pattern. To my dismay, the extracted groove did not contain any velocity information, as my kick pattern, despite being “committed” to the loop’s groove, remained the exact same.
How can I go about lifting the groove/velocity information from the original audio (which for some reason is divided into three separate slices when converted to MIDI) in order to improve my own MIDI kick pattern?
For additional info, here's what the original drum loop looked like prior to exporting:
I appreciate any and all suggestions.
Per @Todd, here is what the Midi notes look like within the drum rack device (the "active" hits marked with red circles):
I swapped in Ableton's 707 drum rack, which I like, and I routed all hits to the same instrument (Kick 707 1):
The resulting sound works (it grooves just like the loop, but sounds like the 707--success!), but I still feel on edge not understanding the mechanics at play.
Note: Isolating the slice with the most velocity information, as evidenced by the varying shades of pink, resulted in a far quieter, incomplete sound. I'm also just noticing that "F#1" seems to be relatively uniform in width and shade whereas "D1" and "Slice 1" differ in shade and width. In the case of the first hit, "D1" is empty.
Update: I confirmed that I am (and have been) choosing the "drums" option. See here: